img

Australian travellers impacted by US ban-NewsCO

January 29, 2017

Australians who have travelled to any of the seven Muslim-majority nations under the Trump administration visa ban in the past six years will no longer be allowed to apply for a mandatory security check needed for entry to the United States.

As well, Australians who hold passports from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen may potentially be turned away from the US.

The government’s Smarttraveller website has updated its notifications warning travellers to the US about the controversial new rules.

Australians who are dual citizens of Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria will no longer be allowed to apply for the standard electronic travel authorisation – ETSA – which travellers must complete before heading to the US.

The ETSA is an online application that determines entry eligibility based on security or police risks.

“Any of these Australians who have previously been issued an ESTA are likely to have the ESTA revoked,” the Smarttraveller website warns.

As well, Australians who have travelled to any of the seven implicated nations since March 2011 will also no longer be allowed to apply for that permit.

This also includes government officials or defence force members who are dual citizens of Iran, Iraq, Syria or Sudan, but there may be exceptions for some who travelled on official government or defence business.

All those affected will have to apply for a non-immigrant visa at a US embassy or consulate.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says officials are in talks with US counterparts to get clarity on how the order may affect Australians.

“The Australian embassy in Washington is engaging with US officials on the potential implications of the suspension for Australian travellers, including dual nationals,” a spokeswoman told AAP in a statement.

All travellers are being warned that rules could change at short notice.

“Travellers should contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the United States for the most current information,” the spokeswoman added.

Originally published as Australian travellers impacted by US ban

NewsCO World & Australian News, Sport, MMA & More

Article Categories:
Australia

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *