Nicholls slams Labor over infrastructure-NewsCO

February 16, 2017

Queensland Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls has hit out at the state government’s infrastructure plans, saying less than one per cent of private sector-proposed projects have been approved.

Treasurer Curtis Pitt in December said the government had received more than 100 preliminary market-led proposals, though only one had progressed to contractual close.

Mr Nicholls claims that isn’t good enough and announced the LNP would cut the assessment period for projects to four months if elected.

“Queensland is suffering an infrastructure deficit under Labor and we need to be encouraging the private sector to step up and plug the gap – not dissuading them with just one of 100 MLP projects approved,” he said in a statement.

He said a Liberal National Party government would also alter the MLP framework to focus on value for money and the company behind the project’s ability to deliver.

The first project to be approved under the government’s market-led proposals framework, introduced in 2015, is a $512 million upgrade to the Logan Motorway.

The government in December said 37 stage 1 proposals had been submitted to the government, six of which were currently being considered by the government, while another two had progressed to stage 2.

A government spokesman on Friday hit back at Mr Nicholls, suggesting he was more interested in privatising assets than infrastructure projects when he was treasurer in the Newman government.

“The only market led proposal Tim Nicholls was interested in when he was treasurer was the mass privatisation of our income generating assets, including our entire power generation and supply network,” the spokesman said in a statement.

NewsCO World & Australian News, Sport, MMA & More

Article Categories:
Australia

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *