NewsCO World & Australian News

NewsCO.com.au – Italy: Two die as motorway bridge collapses near Ancona

March 9, 2017

Media captionThe aftermath of the bridge collapse in Ancona

A motorway bridge has collapsed near the north-east Italian city of Ancona, killing two, Italian officials say.

The victims were in a car below the bridge when it fell down onto the A14 road, which runs between Loreto and Ancona South.

The collapse involved a temporary structure which was supporting the bridge, Autostrade, the Italian highways agency said.

Two Romanian workers were also injured, Italian media reported.

Image copyright
Polizia de Stato

Image caption

The married couple were killed as they drove under the bridge, reports say

The two people who died were a husband and wife, originally from the province of Ascoli Piceno, whose white Nissan Qashqai was crushed as the bridge came down, Ansa news agency reported.

The bridge had been closed to traffic for maintenance work, it said.

Ansa quoted a witness named Francesco as saying the collapse “happened suddenly” and a female driver in front of him braked and stopped just 10m (33ft) from the collapsed bridge.

“We were saved by a miracle,” he said.

The affected road is now closed in both directions.


Are you in the area or have you been affected by this incident? Share your experiences by emailing

Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:

  • WhatsApp: +447555 173285
  • Tweet: @BBC_HaveYourSay
  • Send pictures/video to
  • Upload your pictures / video here
  • Send an SMS or MMS to 61124 or +44 7624 800 100

NewsCO World & Australian News, Sport, MMA & More

Article Categories:
Top Stories

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *